Using Scoilnet Blogs to Design & Manage a School Website (online)
The Scoilnet Blogs service offers schools the option to use the Word Press blogging tool to develop a school website or school blog and have it hosted within the Schools Broadband Network. There is one Scoilnet Blog account allocated to each school and the blogging service supports different types of content, including text, images, audio, podcasts and video clips. This online course will demonstrate how to design and administer a school website or blog using Scoilnet Blogs as the platform.
|Duration||5 hours (at times of your own choosing). Includes time spent on blog creation.|
|Target Audience||Teachers in charge of administering a school website or blog|
|Prerequisites||Intermediate level ICT skills: Participants should be confident users of ICT and have experience of working with different file-types including text, images and audio. Prior experience of blogging is advantageous but not essential. |
Online course availability, requirements and access
The course is delivered via TeacherCPD.ie. Please return to TeacherCPD.ie for information on available dates (see the Course Schedule). Enrolment links appear on TeacherCPD.ie once the course is open for enrolment (see the link labelled “PDST Technology in Education Courses on ICT in Teaching and Learning. ENROL HERE”).
Technical Requirements: A good broadband internet connection and a laptop,desktop pc or tablet (with the latest version of Chrome, Firefox orSafari installed).
Participants will be enabled to:
- Design and manage their school’s website using Scoilnet Blogs
- Add other contributors to their school website to enable content creation
- Add functionality to their school’s website or blog using plugins or widgets
- Understand good practice in website design, including accessibility
- Consider the issues of copyright, plagiarism and data protection when publishing online
- Understand good practice in relation to the safe use of blogging in teaching and learning.
This online course consists of two self-paced modules, which include
- Video exemplars of schools who are using Scoilnet Blogs, and links to examples of other school websites/blogs
- Information on web design and accessibility
- Video tutorials on how to use Scoilnet Blogs, covering:
- Applying for your Scoilnet Blog
- Understanding the layout (dashboard)
- Applying a theme
- Adding and editing content
- Adding users to enable content creation
- Incorporating multimedia content, widgets and plugins
To get the most from this course, it is recommended that participants create their school’s Scoilnet Blog while participating in the course.
For information on how to apply for your school’s Scoilnet Blog, click here.